It has more than likely come to your attention that headlines really matter. We rely on them in most phases of our business these days, whether they are in the form of an ad, a blog post, a video, even an infographic. Your headline could well be the most crucial part of your content, as it very often determines whether anyone goes any further. This is most definitely true when it comes to email, and advertising. Learning how to craft a winning headline is a task that you simply must excel at for your business.
7 Tips You Can Use To Write Better Headlines
- All of us love numbers and lists – Headlines using lists and numbers simply rock. People understand just what they’re getting, and it’s usually in a form they can easily digest: “3 Tips to Help You Drop 5 Pounds This Week!”
- Hit their pain points – Hitting on the pain points your readers experience will help gain their trust, and they will be more open to any solutions you may have to offer.
- Be a bit controversial – Be bold. State your opinions, push the edge of the envelope. Once you got their attention, you can demonstrate how brilliant you are, until then, be daring.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – These questions are very often the same ones they are asking, and you can be the one to deliver an answer.
- Mind the 55 character limit – Two practical reasons for this: 55 characters will safely show in the Google search results as well as your email subject line. Wouldn’t it be sad if your headline got cut off?
- Test your copy – As with most anything you write for the masses, for the best response you’ll want to test your headlines for effect. Sometimes one word can make a big difference in an email open rate, which can in turn directly affect your income.
- Deliver value – Above all indicate in your headlines the amount of value they can receive. Don’t over-promise, but don’t be shy about extolling what you’ve got to offer!
Keep in mind that the over-arching purpose of any headline is to get the reader to the next place, whether that means opening an email, clicking a link or reading your content. Need help crafting your headlines? No problem, at Extreme Marketing Concepts that is what we do. Contact us today to learn more.