5 Easy Ways to Keep Your Website Fresh
It’s that time of the year, when many of us get around to doing a bit of spring cleaning, and this ought to apply to your small business website, as well. It’s far too easy to allow this task go by the wayside, but the consequences of this is a gradual loss of visitors, a poor site reputation and even sales. While this can be a rather subtle way to poor performance, as you don’t normally see it happening, it’s still a very real problem.
So in the spirit of prevention, listed below are 5 ways for you to make a huge difference in how your sites appear, operate and prosper.
- Are your pages loading quickly? – It’s been said you’ve got less than 10 seconds to load your page or the majority of people will abandon and head for faster, greener pastures. If your site is image heavy, and packed with flash, you may well need to optimize for faster performance. Furthermore, Google will penalize your site in the search rankings if your pages load too slowly.
- Defunct products, programs, and links – Be sure and take out old products, programs and especially links that are no longer relevant. Nothing irritates a user more than heading somewhere and finding they can’t get there or the item is not available. Dead links and 404 pages will also affect your search rankings, too.
- Stale content and old images – Likewise cull out text and images that are no longer topical. All those awesome pictures from 2007 that feature people no longer working with you can perhaps be archived, don’t you think? People and search engines are after fresh, current content!
- Refresh your social media – Make sure that your social media buttons not only link to your current social media sites, but that you are up to date with them.
- More fresh content that rocks – There is nothing you can do to help in this respect more than to provide a fresh dose of new, relevant to 2013 content! If you have content on the first page of your blog that is more than a month old, you definitely ought to be more active with your content strategy.
It’s spring, and time to get about cleaning. You’ll be glad you did! Do you need help with your website? Contact Extreme Marketing Concepts Today at 813-863-1452.